Sunday, August 13, 2006

What are pingback and trackback?

If you want real trackback, you probably should use a platform that supports it natively. Blogger can pingback to set URLs, but it cannot trackback. If you look at our blog at http://www.bloggerforum.com/modules/wordpress/?p=10, the last comment is actually a trackback.

From Peachpit:

Trackback (and Pingback, an emerging standard for Trackback) is, at its most simple, a means of sending a notification from one blog to another. At the seamless level, most blogging software automatically pings (contacts) a number of the blog search engines, alerting them when you've updated your blog, and in turn helping to drive traffic to your blog.

At the more specific level, if your blog has Trackback implemented, you can Trackback a specific post. For example, let's say I stop by my friend Meri's blog and see a post there I really like. But rather than leave a comment on her blog, let's say I'm so enthusiastic about her post that I want to write a detailed one on my own blog.

I can then include the URL to her post in my Trackback-enabled weblog software and the title of my blog post. The first line of the post is then sent to her blog. If she also has Trackback enabled, my ping will show up in her comment section of the related post. This process enables conversations to occur across blogs, rather than just staying on one, in turn extending the reach of everyone's blog—and discussion.

Trackback is also being used for other purposes, such as having software ping a blog with data. A good example of this is a live playlist sent from my computer to my blog, which then employs Trackback to send notification to the published playlist on the blog each time a song is updated. This type of usage typically requires additional scripting to work, so it's used mostly by power users or by avid bloggers familiar with the many plug-ins available for given software.

No comments:

♥.Sữa chua Media.....

9down.com

Digital Inspiration